Wednesday, August 19, 2009

K Y?

When we were sick over the weekend, I had to give Gracie a prob in the butt (Rectal temp) This was new to me and she acted like it was an old trick for her. They took her rectal temp lots in the hospital when her temp was so low. The Doctor said to lubricate the thermometer and then put it in her butt about a quarter inch or so. Gracie didn't even cry when I took off her diaper and flipped her on her belly. Then, I could not find the Vaseline ANYWHERE! I know I bought some but can't find the Target bag it was in. I'm desperate. I am running a fever and feel like crying, Gracie is on my bed diaperless and all I can find is some KY Warming Gel. That poor KY hasn't been put to use in a while and still probably has a few neglected weeks ahead. So I slapped some on the thermometer and check her temp. I hope the fact that it was a warming gel didn't affect the reading of 99.2. Gracie was amazing and didn't fuss at me at all! Maybe she didn't mind the warming sensation. Maybe I shouldn't share this story. I think it is a great illustration of how mothers will do what it takes to get the job done even if it wasn't exactly how they planned. I have discovered in my short tenure as a mother, that I can't do things just right. I was a smug little thing- all big and pregnant a few months ago thinking that I could do it all....breastfeed, work fulltime, keep a clean house, dress Gracie up like a China Doll everyday and still have time for bubble baths.
This is so not how it turned out!

1 comment: