Saturday, January 7, 2012

Christ"mas"

I always feel a little let down when Christmas is over.  We get hyped up for Christmas for over a month and then its over!  I admit that we left our decorations up longer than is "socially exceptable."  My darling and wonderful husband took all the decor down and put it in the attic while I was at work one day this week.  What a nice surprise to come home to!
As I look at Gracie's 4 Christmas presents that she still hasn't unwrapped I started to ponder all that is Christmas.  Sweet Gracie is so loved that she had plenty of presents from Gigi and Poppi, Ashley and Jason, Nana and Papa. Mimi and Granddaddy, Amy and Maw Maw and Paw PAw.  There simply wasn't time to open presents from me and Blake.  (No worries, we are going to send her with little gifts while we are away and these are perfect)
I didn't study Spanish is school but I believe the term "mas" means more.  "Christ" "mas"  time.  "More time with Christ."  I believe that it is possible that the "mas" part of Christmas should be focused on Christ, and not on the abundance of Christmas.  I am speaking purely of adults, because I believe Gracie deserves mounds of gifts and Santa visits.  But I also believe that she needs to play with her little people nativity scene and understand the gift of "Jesus." Gracie's favorite song right now is:
"Jesus is a gift from God
gift from God
gift from God.
Jesus is a gift from God
born on CHristmas day."
I read her the Charlie Brown Christmas book and one of my favorite parts is when Charlie Brown sees that Snoopy has decorated his dog house in lots of lights and he throws back his head and yells, "Even my dog has gone commercial!"  Everytime I read that page G asks me, "Why is he crying?"  I respond every time with, "He believes there is more to Christmas than lights and big trees."
I have totally gone commercial.  Have you seen all the lights at Chick-fil-A?  It puts Snoopy to shame!  And I am not going to stop decorating, and buying gifts and making reindeer food with G.  But I am going to be intentional about spending an equal amount of time in the word and in prayer as I spend shopping, decorating and making reindeer food.  We will read scripture as much as we read "Twas the Night before Christmas."  Next year....  I may need reminding

No comments:

Post a Comment